Wednesday, July 21, 2021

School Philosophy

This is the first year that one of my own children will be in need of more "formal" schooling.  My first born is turning five, and like all five-year-olds, it is time to start learning.  Of course, we have been learning since birth through play and books.  This will just be more intentional. 

My education philosophy follows a progression:

-birth to around 7 years old: Montessori type learning, learn through playing, learn through exploring, learn through doing important activities of life

-5 years old to around 12 years old: Charlotte Mason type learning, learn through books, learn through exploration and observation, learn through experiences

-12 +: Classical liberal arts learning, learn through Great Books, learn through experimentation, learn through discussion. 

Now, I do not adhere to Montessori or Charlotte Mason completely.  I am also quite fond of Classical systems with recitation.  

To accomplish my goals, I have chosen to follow Schola Rosa for the bulk of the subjects.  Schola Rosa is a Classical Catholic curriculum that offers a hands-on approach to learning that is affordable and adaptable.  To supplement in areas of interest, I will be using Under the Home for carefully curated lessons that my children will enjoy, especially for extra coloring and literature lessons.  I will be using the science books from Memoria Press


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!

"Pretend" and the Sad Lack of Imagination

       A few years ago, I worked as a teaching assistant at a small private school.  Periodically, I was asked to go into the Preschool or t...