Wednesday, May 4, 2022

For the Love of Math

 In all honesty, fifteen year old me would have never believed that thirty year old me would be teaching mathematics this fall. Fifteen year old me was still suffering the effects of eleven year old me listening to my friends and deciding that it wasn't cool to enjoy math. 

As a young child, I showed a natural inclination toward math. I loved puzzles and patterns. As I grew older, I continued loving math. Until one day, I didn't. 

I am not entirely sure what happened to make me decide what I didn't like math anymore at eleven years old.  After watching Jenny Philip's story about how her daughter was so influenced by the books she was reading, I began reflecting on if maybe there was an influence that caused my sudden change. 


I do think that there was a general preteen attitude which influenced my distaste for math. Although I was homeschooled, I had several friends who did not like math and whined incessantly about math whenever we were together. I also think the young adult literature I read probably influenced my attitude toward mathematics. And, finally, I think the math curriculum contributed to my distaste for mathematics. 

My mother minored in math in college; she majored in nursing. When I was a preteen, I was homeschooled and my mother did not love the math curriculum, but she really did not know much about the mathematic curricula alternatives. We used a traditional all-in-one boxed curricula where the company picked out the books and created the lesson plans. Mom tried to be excited for math, because she loved it, but the format of this particular mathematics curriculum stifled her creativity in educating. She tried to make math interesting and fun - she would put math facts to song and try to make up games. She would even race me to finish tests. 

I didn't regain my love of mathematics until I took Trigonometry in college. I started realizing that my distaste for mathematics laid in the fact that I started viewing math as uninteresting work to be done, rather than the amazing patterns and puzzles that it could unlock. Mathematics was too proscripted - every lesson was the same. It did not have to be that way. Math could be amazing again. 

I have been teaching mathematics in private courses through Schole Academy this spring, primarily to the age that the wonder of mathematics began to fade for myself. I enjoy this level of mathematics today, and it is hard to believe that I ever disliked math.  I hope that I can help unlock the wonder of mathematics for my students. 

This fall, I will be teaching Fundamentals of Mathematics and Pre-Algebra for Schole Academy.  I am incredibly excited for this opportunity. One of the marks of Schole Academy is restful learning - which is probably the most exciting, and challenging, part of this - the balance between active course instruction and instilling a sense of wonder. 

In addition to the two math courses, I will be teaching a grammar course and a science course.  Yes - I will have four preps. This will be be a busy year!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!

"Pretend" and the Sad Lack of Imagination

       A few years ago, I worked as a teaching assistant at a small private school.  Periodically, I was asked to go into the Preschool or t...